Newport Rhode Island Cocaine Offenses Attorney
Newport Rhode Island Cocaine Defense Lawyer S. Joshua Macktaz provides aggressive and effective representation to individuals facing Cocaine or Crack cocaine related drug offenses in Rhode Island state and federal courts.
If you have been charged with possession, sale, delivery, or distribution of cocaine you need immediate representation by a skilled and experienced Rhode Island Drug Crimes Defense Attorney.
As a former Rhode Island Special Assistant Attorney General from 1993-1997 Attorney Macktaz has extensive experience with felony Cocaine and Crack Cocaine possession, sale, and distribution cases as a prosecutor. Mr. Macktaz uses that knowledge to successfully defend his private clients accused of cocaine and drug related offenses. Before becoming a private Rhode Island Defense Lawyer, Attorney Macktaz lectured in-coming police academy cadets as an AG Prosecutor on proper prosecutions. This unique experience has afforded Mr. Macktaz a wealth of knowledge not readily available to the average Rhode Island Drug Crimes Attorney.
Cocaine is listed under State of Rhode Island General Laws under Food and Drugs Chapter 21-28 as a Schedule II Controlled substance and carries with it the harshest of penalties for possession or distribution of Cocaine or Crack Cocaine.
Penalties and consequences are even more severe if someone is charged for a capital offense or a felony in which the use of force or violence is involved in concurrence with the distribution of cocaine.
Being arrested for or charged with cocaine distribution, sale, or delivery puts an individual in a very serious situation. Whether the law enforcement officers on your case are:
- Local police
- County Sheriff’s department
- State Police, including the highway patrol
- FBI (the Federal Bureau of Investigation)
- DEA (the federal Drug Enforcement Administration)
- ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also a federal agency)
- The Coast Guard
An individual facing state or federal cocaine distribution charges is in grave need of a highly competent criminal defense lawyer. The war on drugs will roll right over a defendant without legal representation.
As a Schedule II drug, cocaine is known to be highly addictive and extremely lucrative for drug dealers and traffickers. State and federal prosecutors are very eager to show that they’re putting away a lot of people involved in cocaine distribution.
According to the DEA, there were more than 11,400 federal cocaine offenders in the U.S. courts in 2006 alone. More than 97 percent of these offenders were in court facing cocaine distribution charges. The federal system is very strict on individuals and organizations that are alleged to be engaged in cocaine manufacture, import, and distribution/sales/trafficking; the potential prison sentences and fines can be steep
Factors That Affect Your Case
If you have been charged with cocaine distribution, your defense lawyer can tell you about the state drug laws and what you can expect to face as penalties if you’re convicted. Rhode Island State laws for Cocaine are very stringent but the factors that commonly affect the severity of the penalties in both the state and federal systems are:
- How much cocaine was allegedly involved
- Whether it was powder cocaine or crack cocaine
- Whether you are a minor or an adult
- Whether any minors (persons under 18) were involved in the alleged incident
- Whether the alleged distribution took place near a school or university
- Whether any person was seriously injured or killed
- Whether this is a first cocaine distribution offense or not
- Any prior criminal history you possess
The potential penalties for cocaine distribution include lengthy prison sentences (including life sentences), high fines (up to millions of dollars), and forfeiture of your personal property and real estate.
Rhode Island Penalties for Possession or Distribution of Cocaine are as follows:
Rhode Island Legal Code Section 21-28-4.01, et seq. (Summary)
Possession of Cocaine
Nolo contendere pleas:
- 100 hrs. community service and drug education program
- Up to 1 oz.: 3 yrs. in prison and/or $500 to $5000;
- 1 oz.-1 kg.: 10-50 yrs. in prison and/or $10,000-$50,000;
- Over 1 kg.: 20 yrs. to life in prison and $25,000 to $1,000,000
Sale of Cocaine
- Person not drug dependent: life in prison and/or $10,000 to $500,000;
- Drug dependent: 30 yrs. in prison and or $3000 to $100,000;
- 1 kg.: minimum 10-50 yrs. in prison and/or $10,000 to $500,000;
- Over 1 kg.: 20 yrs.-life in prison and/or $25,000-$1,000,000;
- Sale to minor or 3 yrs. junior: minimum 15 yrs. in prison and up to $500,000;
- Within 300 yds. of a school: double penalties
No matter what cocaine distribution or possession charges you’re facing, Rhode Island Defense Attorney Macktaz will fight to minimize the negative outcome of your case ─ negotiating with the prosecutor to get your charges reduced or dismissed, interviewing witnesses and pursuing a thorough investigation of your case. Your attorney’s most critical job is to protect and uphold your constitutionally guaranteed rights at every step in the legal process.